Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How Everyone Relates to George Bailey


So things aren't going our way, what do we do?

I'd like to say I move on from it. I'd like to say it doesn't effect me. I'd like to say I automatically see it as something that is going to challenge me and help me to grow. 

But in all honesty, I dwell on it, let it get to me, and see it as the end of the world. 

I'm working on it. 

Why is self-pity such a commonality in the human race today? 

It's like we let the world so easily push our buttons. We hold way too high of a regard for the things happening around us and become desperate, self-pitied, souls. Like we're a living song off of an Adele album. 

Self-pity is actually a form of selfishness.

I think we can all agree we've had George Bailey moments before. Those moments where the only problems in the world appear to be our problems. We become closed minded to other peoples feelings and focus on ourselves

I think I'll call this, "The Me Generation"

"How will this get better for me?"

"When will something cool happen to me?"

Sometimes I think we get in this mindset that the world truly does revolve around us.


Being selfish is just so darn easy.

It seems like such an impossible thing to overcome. And I've come to realize that the only way to overcome it is to, well, overcome it. 

Because as easy as it is to be selfish, it's also really easy to actually look at yourself as a selfish person and become disgusted to the point where if you don't share your chocolate with someone, you feel like greedy scum. 

So what if we go above and beyond chocolate? What if when we start pitying ourselves, we captivate those thoughts and feelings and go help someone else, who we know is also having a George Bailey kind of day?

I genuinely believe that when we stop and realize that other people are going through crap too, we can get over ourselves. Like, really die to ourselves.

And how freeing that would be! To know we are actually capable of putting others above ourselves. 

Once we've conquered this I have no doubt we'll be able to run around full of joy and happiness, declaring that it really is a wonderful life.

5 comments:

  1. Okay so I just LOVE this! I saw It's A Wonderful Life for the first time over the weekend (I know, awful...) and it totally caused me to take a good look at my own life. I was debating on writing a blog post about it, but now that you have I can direct people your way! I couldn't agree more with what you said. It's so funny, I even said on my prayer walk this morning, "God, I feel like I've come to the same conclusion as George Bailey. What a wonderful life." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully encourage you to still write a post! I would love to hear your perspective on this movie. And it's funny because I was going to go the route talking about how our lives have purpose but this one rung more loudly in my thoughts! Thank you for your kind feedback! That's such a conclusion too. It's amazing how much this movie can allow you to truly appreciate life!

      Delete
    2. Molly. Thank you for this. I have been thinking precisely these thoughts about my selfishness lately. Well said, my friend.

      Delete
    3. Thank YOU for feedback my lovely friend!

      Delete